Panjam: Design a Board Game from Scratch in 48 Hours
This contest ended on May 20. We will do another one in the future!
A tabletop game design contest sponsored by Pangea Games and the GameSmiths.
Hone your skills, show off your creativity, and enter for a chance to win Terraforming Mars!
Sound cool? Please RSVP on Facebook to help us know how many people are coming.
How it Works
- You must design a tabletop game.
- Don’t design your game before Saturday, May 19 12:00 AM EDT.
- Submit your game on or by Sunday, May 20 11:59 PM EDT.
- You can work alone or in a team.
- You are limited to one submission per person (if working alone) or team (if not working alone).
- To submit your game, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, contact information, and either a print-and-play version of your game as an attachment or a link to a Tabletop Simulator workshop item. You must also include a pitch (of up to 150 words) and a rulebook.
- Pangea Games and the GameSmiths will have the right to publicly share photos or videos of any game you submit to us. The game is still yours, though.
- You don’t have to RSVP on Facebook to participate, but we definitely appreciate it.
- Submission of pitches and rules
- Each submission will include a pitch (up to 150 words) describing their game and the hook. Think of what you would pitch to a publisher or potential customer buying your game. What would you want them to know? Why is your game fun?
- Each submission will include a rulebook. Graphic design/artwork will not be judged except when it helps with clarifying rules (you do not need to have art skills for this to be helpful).
- Each pitch and rulebook will be read and judged by 3 of the 4 GameSmiths on the following criteria (each on a scale of 1 – 10):
- First Impressions – what stands out.
- Theme – how well the chosen theme seems to work. Does it work with the mechanics?
- Mechanics – are the mechanics easily understood, do they work with the theme?
- Innovation – what makes the game stand out? What is the hook?
- Final Thoughts
- All pitches and rules will be evaluated on the above criteria and the top 3 will be determined.
- If there is a tie between any games the 4th GameSmith that did not judge the game will score the game and the scores will be reevaluated.
- Top 3 games will be announced.
- Top 3 games will need to submit a prototype or PnP to be played by the GameSmiths.
- Same criteria for judging used for rules/pitches will be applied to the gameplay.
- Winners will be announced
- This will be determined by a combined score of pitches/rules and the gameplay.
- All participants will receive a 30% discount on a future GameSmiths service of their choice.